Saturday, November 18, 2006

Potato Leek Soup

Now, I never wanted this blog to turn into a "what I had for lunch today" blog, and in fact I've seriously considered buying Maggie's book to ensure that doesn't happen, but as you all know, I love food, and I love cooking, and occasionally I'm going to have to share my creations and recipes with you. Today is one of those occasions.

Potato Leek Soup (Vegan friendly)

10 cups cold water
1 leek
Olive oil
4-6 medium potatoes
1/2 bulb garlic
Sea salt

Clean and chop the leek into thin slices (some people suggest only using the white part, but I love to throw it all in for the greeny goodness) and saute til slightly browned in the olive oil. While the leek is browning, peel and dice the potatoes. Add the potatoes and leek to the cold water and bring to a boil. Smash and mince the garlic (you may want to reduce the amount slightly, but I'm a garlic fiend so I use tons) and add. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Now, at this point you could call it done and just give it a good stir, add salt to taste, and serve, but I prefer to cream the soup with a hand blender and then add the sea salt. Top it off with some freshly ground pepper just before serving.

Bon appetit!

No comments: